Once Upon A Time In London

This is the tale of the adventures of a native Oregonian in London.

12 December 2010

Of Adventures in Even Smaller Towns

Thursday... my last full day before heading back to Old Blimey. Before heading out for more adventuring, we had very important stuff to do. Like mending my clothes.

I don't know what it is about clothes in the UK, but even expensive ones are made so cheaply. I know Americans complain a lot about poor quality workmanship, but honestly, even the cheapest clothes from the US are better made than just about anything you buy in the UK. Many of the issues could be easily fixed with basic sewing skills, which I have, and a sewing machine, which I don't have (Well, I have one in storage at M & D Storage and B & B, but that's another story.). Fortunately, Mom has a very nice sewing room with a very nice sewing machine. So, first up was hemming and mending...

... followed by replacing a zipper in a pair of jeans. I knew that UK clothes came with rubbish zippers, but had to have Dad point out the mechanical differences. Something about a "T" in the US zippers which prevent them from falling down at random moments. Anyway, Mom and I picked up a nice, working zipper from Jo-Ann's.


Lest you think I let my poor mother do all the work, I actually did the mending parts. But replacing zippers is beyond my set of skills. It would also insight some fair amount of road rage, so it's best for all involved if she does the zipper replacing.

Once our work was done, we headed out to view the surrounding territory. We ended up in Priest... something. I think it was Priest River. But it's confusing because there is also a Priest Lake. I'm pretty sure this was the River. In any case, it was a rip roaring town. There was a cute little fabric and craft store...


... which was closed. Obviously they didn't get the memo that I was coming.

A gas station which hadn't seen a petrol tanker in about fifty years (Wouldn't it make a super cute coffee shop?).


And a hotel which had seen better days.

(I'm relatively certain it's not a hotel any more. But it's still pretty cool in a semi-sort-of-ghost-town kind of way.)

And here's the river (Much cleaner than the Thames.)...


... and the view of Priest River from the bridge.


We headed home a bit early as, frankly, there wasn't much more to see. Also, we had an invite to a very posh restaurant for dinner. Couldn't possibly miss out on such an invitation now, could we!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home