Once Upon A Time In London

This is the tale of the adventures of a native Oregonian in London.

30 October 2010

Of Old Friends and More Mexican Train


In some ways my last day in Portland came too soon. In others, not soon enough.

Believe me, I could have spent so much more time there and seen and done so many more things. Visited old haunts, discovered new. I miss my hometown. I miss my family. And four years is a really long time.

On the other hand, all the excitement and camping and marrying off of people left me completely drained and Idaho was starting to sound really good.

I know. I know. My marbles weren't just lost, they were smashed to oblivion.

In any case, I had one more day left in the Big City. Bonnie picked me up from the Maynard Five Star B & B and we headed off to Barnes and Noble to meet a very special person. Someone I hadn't seen in a really long time. Miyuki.


Some of you may remember the days I hung out with Cori. Well, Cori and I met Miyuki while she was at university in Portland. What a great time we all had... salsa dancing, house parties, birthdays, family dinners... and then we lost touch. But with the beauty that is Facebook, no one is ever truly lost and Miyuki and I got back in contact again. It was great fun seeing her and catching up on her adventures. She even gave me a lovely gift of a drawing she did (She's an amazing artist! I'd forgotten that.) of me as a harlequin, red hair and all!

Of course, being at Barnes and Noble, I just HAD to buy a couple books. Ok, three books. Some people smoke. Some gamble. I buy books. Maybe I should see a therapist about that? Nah...

Beside which, books are 25% - 35% cheaper in the US than in UK. And with my particular taste in books, it's nearly impossible for me to walk into the average UK book store, browse and bit, and walk out with a decent book. They're just so limited. I admit I was a bit like a kid in a candy store after four years in Outer Mongolia.



So, after coffee with Miyuki, Bonnie and I hopped in the jeep and headed off to another place I haven't been in four years: Portland Saturday Market. It's pretty tame compared to Camden Town Market, but it's still so uniquely Portland.

I was pleasantly surprised to find they'd extended the Free Zone (Or whatever they call it.) clear out to the Lloyd Center. I haven't never understood the governmental propensity for insisting people take public transport to save on fuel and decrease congestion, but then make it completely inconvenient to actually do so, I'm glad to see Portland being somewhat logical about the matter. London's TFL could seriously learn a thing or two from good ole Tri-Met.




We had a lovely couple of hours mooching about the Market. We started off with a lunch of burritos and taco salad. One thing the UK is sorely lacking is decent Mexican food. We then headed over to watch a street dancer the likes of which even Camden Town can't boast.



We then headed to the main part of the Market and spent the rest of the time munching on elephant ears and drooling over handmade cloth totes and all natural soaps. What can I say? Life is made of such simple pleasures.


We finished off down by the River for a spot of people watching.

Tuckered out by our day of adventuring, Bonnie dropped me off at my final port of call for the Portland area: Ellen's B & B. It's not every B & B to offers it's patrons a rousing came of Mexican Train before bedtime.

After three exciting rounds, we all toddled off to bed. I was headed east on the 'morrow, to the wilds of North Idaho.

I suddenly felt the need to arm myself with Starbucks and a flare gun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home