Once Upon A Time In London

This is the tale of the adventures of a native Oregonian in London.

11 November 2010

Of Hills, Dales and Mysterious Toilets

At last!

The day had finally arrived. The day I would shake off the shackles of civilization and head for the Outback of Idaho.

But first, there were many, many, MANY miles to travel before reaching said Outback. And, of course, one can not pass through the Gorge without the requisite photo of one standing in front of Multnomah Falls. It just isn’t done.

We also made a pit stop at the local Home Depot for a potty break. Since I was the only one needing the potty break, I braved Home Depot all alone. Only to prove I’ve probably spent far too much time in foreign climes.

I asked the nice man standing by the door where I could find the toilets. He very politely pointed me toward a section of the store and informed me very cheerfully that they had a nice selection, even some on sale. I stared at him in utter bafflement.

Why would the toilets be on sale????

And then I recalled in which country I was currently standing.

“Er, no,” I said, cheeks burning, “I mean the restroom.”

Needless to say, the Parental Units were Highly Amused.

Over hill and dale, through rivers wide and valleys deep we travelled.

Past reproductions of World Wonders...

...and forests of Giant Windmills we sojourned.

Partaking of such grim fare as DQ and Wendys to keep up our strength.

AT LONG LAST!!!!!!!!!


We barely made it through all the traffic and HORDES of pedestrians, but we finally arrived at the spot twenty miles past the last outhouse where stood the Homestead. Of course, I had seen pictures, but it was ever so Little House In The Big Woods. Complete with chickens. And wilderness. And… and… NATURE. Egads.

Would I survive? Without a single Costa Coffee or Starbucks to be had? No Waterstone’s or Barnes and Noble?

Time would only tell…

1 Comments:

Blogger MaryEleanor said...

There is that nice little drive through coffee place outside of the pet store in beautiful down town in the outback of Idaho! We just didn't get you down there to try the coffee! Book store???? The second hand store has some books!!! Would that do you?
MaryElearnor

11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home