Once Upon A Time In London

This is the tale of the adventures of a native Oregonian in London.

08 March 2007

Weird Things Americans Say

Since I have gone on and on about the British and their odd customs, I thought it only fair that I point out a few of OUR odd habits. Especially the rather strange things we say.

For instance, yesterday I called something a doohicky. Now, any self-resepecting red-blooded American knows exactly what a doohicky is. No explanation needed. However, it is completely foreign to the British ear. The poor man looked completely baffled. "Doohicky?" he repeated, as if not quite sure he'd heard me right. "Whatever is a doohicky?"

How to explain a doohicky? "Ummm..." I began (most intelligently), "it's a doodad." More bafflement. "A thingamagig. A thingy. A whatsit." I think he finally got it, but I'm not really sure.

The second odd thing Americans say isn't really something most Americans say at all. It's something Sheena started and which proud tradition I have continued. When surprised by something, rather than saying the typical, "Oh, my gosh," one says, "Oh, Mylanta!" Mish has found this hilarious (She didn't actually know what Mylanta was until I explained it.) and has made it part of her repetoire.

The other night I said (in a group of people) that I needed to stop fannying about and get with the program. Admittedly, this is not a particularly common phrase, but it raised quite a few eyebrows. Fanny means something entirely different in British.

The first time I asked for toilet paper, no one knew what on earth I was talking about. Despite the fact that "toilet paper" was written in big letters over the paper products aisle at the grocery store. I know better now. I ask for "toilet roll". Or if I'm feeling posh, it's "loo roll".

The way I pronounce towns sends everyone into either fits of giggles or ardent rapture. Evidently I make Doncaster sound exotic. Which takes some doing as I've been to Doncaster and it's far from exotic. They've also decided Seattle sounds better when I say it, too. Naturally. I know how to say it properly.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Doohicky and Seattle huh? I guess I can see how people who aren't used to certain things we say or how we say something might be baffled or impressed by those... And here I thought Seattle was such an ordinary word =P. I must admit though, doohicky is a rather odd word.

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home