Once Upon A Time In London

This is the tale of the adventures of a native Oregonian in London.

30 April 2007

Denham Car Boot Sale



I recovered from my trip to Bath fairly well, though I have come to the firm conclusion that Bath needs many more trips. Other adventures await, however, so Bath may have to wait a month or two for my return.




My next Big Adventure was on the day after my Bath Adventure. The Denham Car Boot Sale.




What in tarnation is a car boot sale?




OK, class. Remember, boot is the Brit word for trunk. As in, the trunk of your car.




Imagine, if you will, a vast field. For miles in every direction stretch row upon row of vehicles (ok, maybe not miles, but for a long way). Each car, truck, or van has spilled out its treasures upon the ground (or table) for the perusal of discerning shoppers. It's like the world's biggest yard sale.




I did pick up a couple bargains. A handbag for £1.50 (brand new, no less) and a couple of DVDs (one was Hello, Dolly!) for £2.50 each. Dead cheap. Mish bought so much stuff she had both Paul and me loaded down with bags.




We spent 3 hours at the sale and I think we got through about half of it. By that time we were dead tired and the merchants were rolling up shop. Or, I supposed in this case, rolling out shop.




In order to recover from our shopping spree, we popped in to one of Denham Village's two pubs. Denham Village takes the cake for charm and peacefulness. It is the former home of Sir John Mills (as in Haley Mills's dad), among other famous people. It's streets are tree lined, houses quaint, vines running over buildings and stone walls with wild abandon. It's posh, but it doesn't feel posh. It feels homey and lived in.


The pub, in keeping with the poshness, does not serve the usual pub grub one finds in lower class places. Oh, no. No greasy burgers or fish and chips in this place. Everything is organic and of the best quality. Instead of bangers and mash it's "leek and pork sausages with onion and wine gravy on a bed of mashed potatoes". Well, however fancy it is, I can say it's very delicious. Paul, Michelle, and I enjoy a leisurely lunch in the sunshine in the back garden. I must say, there's nothing quite like an afternoon of sun, good food, good friends, and conversation.


Sunday was Easter. Naturally, one must have a nice Easter dinner. So, yours truly made roasted potatoes and parsnips, a turkey joint with stuffy and bacon, and veg (Mish made several trips into the kitchen, drawn by the scent of baking turkey.). Paul was put in charge of dessert, so we had marscapone ice cream. YUM.
Monday was a chance to recover from the rest of the weekend. By Tuesday when I returned to work, I felt as if I'd had quite the vacation. Three cheers for England and loads of bank holiday weekends!
Coming up... another bank holiday weekend! Unfortunately, since I just went to Bath, I can't stretch the budget to another out of town trip so soon! However, stay tuned for tea with the queen (Ok, not the queen, just Neashon and Ray! But they are far better than the queen any day! Just don't tell Her Majesty.), a possible perusing of an art gallery, and maybe even a trip into Central London.
Also, toward the end of May, keep your eyes peeled for my trip to York! And that, my friends, ain't NEW York... it's OLD York! Romans, Vikings, and spooky dungeons included! Hold on to your hats, boys and girls, it's gonna be a wild ride!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home