Once Upon A Time In London

This is the tale of the adventures of a native Oregonian in London.

24 April 2007

Chasing Jane, Chapter Eight: Up The Gravel Walk

The gravel crunches under my feet and the sun is warm against my back as I stroll slowly, almost meditatively, up the path called the Gravel Walk. Once upon a time, many couples strolled this walk to indulge in conversation of a suitably romantic nature.


The reading from Persuasion continues, a passage in which Ann and Captain Wentworth are, in their round about sort of way, discussing the past and the present and how much they still wish to be together. It's terribly romantic, but I have a feeling that if I were Ann, I'd have given into temptation and snapped at the poor Captain to get on with it! My goodness, all this beating about the bush. But I must admit to getting a bit teary eyed and sappy and rather wishing I'd a gallant captain on my arm. Or rather, I suppose, I'd be on HIS arm, not the other way around. Whatever. In any case, I am enjoying the ridiculous amount of sentiment that is feeding the romantic in my nature.


About midway up the path is the entrance to a Georgian style garden. When the house was purchased a few years back, there was a Victorian garden in place. I admit that while I prefer Georgian architecture, I quite like Victorian gardens. Victorian gardens take a great deal of effort to maintain the appearance of having taken no effort at all. Masses of flowers willy nilly with no apparent plan in place. Georgian gardens are very regimental, simply, and elegant. Rather like Georgian houses. And while I find it most pleasing in architecture, it's rather boring in a garden. I, personally, would have left the garden Victorian, but someone had the brilliant idea to return it to how it would have been at the height of Georgian fashion. It was a good idea as it gives me a glimpse into that area garden-wise. Though I still prefer a little more color and craziness.

I leave the garden and continue up the Gravel Walk until it finally ends at The Crescent. I'm fairly certain it has a name other than The Crescent, but I'm too busy admiring it and trying to decide which one I shall park my Aston Martin in front of to pay attention to such unimportant drivel.

The Crescent was the home to the poshest of the posh in Jane Austen's time. Only the very best of society (and the very richest) could afford to live on The Crescent. The park you see in front of it was once all open farmland. You can still see the wall that was built up to keep the sheep and cows away from the fine ladies and gentlemen who promenaded there every evening. The wall was designed in such a way that it can not be seen from the Crescent itself, but gives the illusion that your front door opens right into the great outdoors, rather than on a cobbled street, well safe of cows, sheep, and the occasional sun baked tourist.


Today, The Crescent is still the poshest of posh places to live in Bath, though not all the town houses are privately owned anymore. The middle few are given over now to one of Bath's most exclusive hotels, charging upwards of £300 per night! The very end house... No. 1 Crescent... is now a museum decorated as it would have been during Jane Austen's time. It is closed, however, so I move on to the next stop on my tour. The Upper Rooms await....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home