Once Upon A Time In London

This is the tale of the adventures of a native Oregonian in London.

25 April 2007

Chasing Jane, Chapter Nine: The Upper Rooms and Beyond


I arrive, a little on the sticky side, at the Assembly Rooms. Sticky, because the sun is high in the sky and the day is not longer warm, but downright hot.
The Assembly Rooms are what were once called the Upper Rooms. No doubt because they are up near the top of the hillside that comprises Bath.
The building is original, though with extensive renovation and repair as it suffered damage during WWII. There are three main rooms inside that were used during the Georgian period; one each for playing cards, taking tea, and dancing. These rooms are still used today for the occasional wedding, concert or art show. New rooms have been added over the years. There is now a tea room/cafe, two gift shops, and the Museum of Costume.
As I step inside, I immediately feel cooler and more relaxed. The ceiling arches high above me and a handsome young gentleman asks me if I would like to visit the museum, or just view the Assembly Rooms. "Just the Assembly Rooms, please," I tell him. He waves the way.
To the left of the hall lies the ballroom with it's soaring ceilings covered in magnificent cove work, it's gorgeous crystal chandeliers, and it's cool blue walls. It's a large room, but I can't begin to imagine how they packed in over 1000 people! It must have been elbow to armpit!
Unfortunately, picture taking is not allowed inside the rooms, nor do they sell picture post cards of the room in the gifts shops. It's a grave disappointment.
I step next into the tearoom. It is a round room with a sort of domed ceiling. It's quite small, and while I recall reading about them sitting down to tea, I can't imagine where they did it! It's such a small room, I'm sure it could hold no more than 20 seated!
They have saved the very best for last. The card room is about 1/3 the size of the ballroom. The walls are gold in color and the floor is highly polished wood. A breathtaking crystal chandelier, sparkling in the sunlight, hangs from the high ceiling, and there is a balcony ornately decorated where the musicians would have sat to play soft tunes for the players. A more genteel version of today's high powered stereos. I close my eyes for a moment and imagine this room set up with small tables and chairs, and lords and ladies in their fancy evening dress playing at whist or strolling about looking important.
I exit the Assembly Rooms and head back down the hill. The narrator takes me by a couple of other small stops showing me some houses of import and the main shopping drag. But my energy is flagging and I'm hot and sticky and rather glad that finally the tour has come to an end. Though I also feel a bit sad, as well. As though I am saying goodbye to an old friend.
As I pass the entrance to the Roman Baths, I realize that the line is rather extensive. I decide that rather than going to lunch, I will view the baths first. Probably not the best decision I've ever made....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home